Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Great Sand Dunes National Park

This morning started off with a wonderful breakfast at the restaurant at the campground.  It was a nice meal, but Hailey is definitely a teenager- trying to text her friends under the table.  Our rule since they got cell phones was no texting or internet at the table.   UGHHHHHH!


After breakfast we headed to the Great Sand Dunes National Park.  We stopped at the visitors center first, with two reluctant girls. "Whats so special about sand?" "We see sand all of the time at the beach." Even through the movie they were so unimpressed.  Then we went out to the first half mile trail that showcased the plant life.  They perked up a bit with that, both girls seemed to enjoy seeing the cactus flowers and one plant that reminded us all of "Truffula Trees".



Once we finished the first trail, even with my sore back, I was determined to see the sand dunes up close.  So we drove to the next hiking path and off we went.  We first saw the water, it was surprisingly warm, as it flowed across the sand.




The dry sand was extremely hot and burned my feet even with flip flops. Doug and Hailey went ahead, and I encouraged Maddie to do so as well, but she insisted on staying with me.   It was about a half mile to the first (very small) dune.  Doug and Hailey raced to the top, and Maddie joined them once I got to the bottom.  I did not even try to go up the dune between the hot sand and my back, I did not think it was a wise choice. Hailey brought me a hand full of sand from the top so I can say I touched it. After the long walk back in the hot-hot sand, I enjoyed putting my feet in the water.  I felt like the Daffy Duck cartoon when he lights his rear end on fire and it sizzles when he sits in a bucket of water- LOL!





After that we piled into the truck and headed on a five hour drive to Mesa Verde.  The drive included a very intense climb up a mountain in the San Jose National Forest to about 11,000 feet.  About a mile before we started the 15 mile 7% (very steep) decent, we saw signs that said "Brake Check"  and "Runaway Truck Ramp"  that freaked me out a bit.  Then it started to rain which made me freak even more.  To make things freakier we then saw signs that said "No Stopping, Falling Rocks."  I started to pray silently while Doug teased me.  We did make it down safely and to Mesa Verde National Park.


(pictures from the top of the highway)

Unfortunately, as soon as we got in, Hailey got sick and is now in bed.  Poor girl is either dehydrated or has a virus.

Maddie is now making a campfire for us, and we are relaxing before another day of exploration tomorrow.
Mesa Verde

No comments:

Post a Comment