Monday, July 11, 2016

Grand Canyon

We spent two days (July 9-10) at the Grand Canyon.  WiFi at the campground was horrible so I am posting now.

The Grand Canyon continues to be one of my most favorite places we have traveled.  I was actually excited when we pulled into the park. I couldn't wait to see everything again!!!  (I am such a Geek-LOL).  We got into camp early enough to set up and get to Mather Point and we hiked a little over 2 miles along the outer rim.  Words can not describe the beautiful scenery.  It is truly amazing how breathtaking it all is. I continue to be awed and scared of heights, which makes enjoying all of it tricky at times.  Especially when both Hailey and Maddie are fearless of heights and want to push to see more. On our hike we made a new squirrel friend who graced us with some adorable photos.

It was very hot on our hike, and when we finally made it to the water station I was so happy to be ale to refill my bottle that I accidentally tripped and wiped out on the trail.   I now have pretty bad abrasions on one leg and some nasty bruises on both.

We made it to the Hopi House, which Maddie and I explored and El Tovar restaurant, where we decided to have dinner.  We ate lunch there the year before and LOVED it, this time was just as wonderful.  We all stuffed ourselves including amazing desserts, their flour-less chocolate cake was incredible!  We then took the bus back to the campground for the evening.

The next day we decided to take the red shuttle bus line to Hermits point and explore.  It was amazing, beautiful and very high up.  I really enjoyed myself as did everyone else.  It was very windy so I kept having to take my hat off at the edges of the canyon so I wouldn't loos it.

Maddie had a blast taking pictures, some she plans to enter into the Maryland State Fair in August. Her and I both liked the artistic look of the dead trees against the skyline and canyon.

We had lunch at Bright Angel Lodge where Doug challenged Hailey to drink his left over horseradish sauce.  He offered her $100 to do the whole thing, but after her righteous attempt, gave her $20 to stop trying (she managed to down 2 good sized mouth fulls).  I have to admit it was funny to watch her face turn red and eyes get big as the burn settled in.

After lunch we took the orange shuttle bus line out to all of the various view points.  This is where all three of them started to get rather bold and go out to the edge of a few areas, which scared me out of my mind.  So I was the butt of many jokes this afternoon.

We went back to the camper for a few hours to relax before the 8:30pm Ranger Presentation about Mountain Lions.  That was interesting, and I learned a lot about Mountain Lions as well as preservation of the many animals in the Grand Canyon.

The next time we visit I want to go to the North Rim to explore as well as actually go into the canyon. That will probably be once I can retire.













No comments:

Post a Comment